Sports Marketing Study Group – GPME
The objective of this research group is to develop studies related to sports marketing in the Brazilian reality, contributing theoretically and managerially to the creation of knowledge in this area, especially with regard to sports sponsorship, whether in traditional sports or in e-Sports, including but not limited to: consumption of sports sponsorship; sponsorship of sports teams, athletes, sports organizations, sports events, sports facilities and sports broadcasts; endorsement of sports celebrities; sports fan behavior; sports consumption; consumer involvement, identification and engagement with sports.
Relevance of the object of investigation
Although sponsorship has not been an exclusive phenomenon of sport over the past few decades, in many markets around the world, sports sponsorship has captured the majority of sponsorship spending. Sponsors see sport as a way to gain visibility and reach their target audiences. Sports sponsorship can also constitute an image-building platform. In addition, there are B2B benefits, given that sport can be a way for the company to build relationships with its stakeholders and develop new products and technologies in a collaborative way. For sports, on the one hand, sponsorship is a source of revenue, on the other, it can form a basis for collaborative relationships with a sponsor and a way to engage fans and consumers. For sports fans, sponsorship can be controversial (some perceive it as the hyper-commercialization of sport), but it can also be highly beneficial, as it creates opportunities for experiences around sports properties.
Research projects in progress
Sports Fan Attitude and Behavior – involvement, identification and engagement of the sports fan and e-Sport with the modality, with the team and with the celebrities; their audience and consumption behavior in the universe of sports and e-Sports. Sports Sponsorship – alignment of sports sponsorship with the sponsors’ business strategy; reasons for sports sponsorship; sponsored property selection process; management of the activation of sponsorship actions; and measuring the results of sports sponsorship. Sports Mega-events: the impact of sports mega-events on the image, reputation and brand equity of organizers and sponsors.
Training of researchers
Under the guidance of master’s, doctoral and postdoctoral students.
Dialogue between Theory and Practice
The Sports Marketing Research Group fosters recurring dialogue with companies in the sector through international meetings and seminars. In addition, the articles resulting from the research form the backbone of the Sports Sponsorship course of the master’s program.
ADM781 – Sports Sponsorship
Articles published in the last 5 years
- Coelho, M.G.R; Amorim, J.G.B.; Almeida, V.M.C. Sports Mega-Event Sponsorship: The Impact of FIFA Reputation and World Cup Image on Sponsor Brand Equity. BAR – Brazilian Administration Review, v. 16, n. 1, art. #2, elocation-id e180071, Jan./Mar. 2019. ISSN: 1807-7692. Disponível em: PDF e DOI.
- Santos, R.B.F.; Amorim, J.G.B.; Freitas, F.D.; Almeida, V.M.C. Team Nogueira: Invasão do Mixed Martial Arts no Universo Fitness. RAC – Revista de Administração Contemporânea, v. 22, n. 5, p. 786-803, set/out. 2018. ISSN: 1415-6555. DOI.
- Freitas, F.D.; Almeida, V.M.C. Theoretical Model of Engagement in the Context of Brand Communities. BBR – Brazilian Business Review, v. 14, n. 1, p. 86-106, jan/fev. 2017. ISSN: 1808- 2386. DOI.
- Amorim, J.G.B.; Almeida, V.M.C. Os Efeitos da Identificação Regional no Valor da Marca do Patrocinador Esportivo. READ – Revista Eletrônica de Administração, v. 23, n. 3, p. 116-146, Set/Dez 2017. ISSN: 1413-2311. DOI.
- Düsenberg, N.B; Almeida, V.M.C.; Amorim, J.G.B. The Influence of Sports Celebrity Credibility on Purchase Intention: The Moderating Effect of Gender and Consumer Sports-Involvement. BBR – Brazilian Business Review, v. 13, n. 5, p. 02-21, set/out. 2016. ISSN: 1808-2386
- Sá, B.M.B.; Almeida, V.M.C. Sports Sponsorship Decision Model: A conceptual model proposition. In: hadwick, S.; Chanavat, N.; Desbordes, M. (Eds). Routledge Handbook of Sports Marketing. London: Routledge, 2016. chapter 8, p. 92-109.
- Amorim, J.G.B.; Almeida, V.M.C. The Effect of Simultaneous Sponsorship of Rival Football Teams. BAR – Brazilian Administration Review, v. 12, n. 1, p. 63-87, Jan./Mar. 2015. DOI.
- Almeida, R.B.; Almeida, V.M.C.; Lima, D.F.P. Comunidades de Marca de Sports Fantasy Games: Identificação, engajamento, intenção de continuidade e valor da marca do patrocinador. REMark – Revista Brasileira de Marketing, São Paulo, v. 14, n. 1, p. 33-48, jan/mar. 2015. DOI.
- 1st Inter Meeting. Sports Marketing: Learnings from London (2012)
- 2nd Inter.de Sports Marketing Meeting: Sports Sponsorship of Mega Events (2016)
- 3rd Inter Meeting. Sports Marketing: eSports – Trends & Opportunities (2018)
- International Seminar: Digital Sports: The Field Behind the Screen (2018)